Designed to leverage regional cultural strengths, Helena Second Saturdays (HSS) brings local artisans and merchants together to provide a dynamic and engaging calendar event in historic, downtown Helena-West Helena. From April through September, on every second Saturday of the month, Delta inspired artisans and musicians partner with local merchants and line the main avenue of Cherry Street, generating increased tourism and community engagement.
In calendar year 2012, the King Biscuit Blues Festival “Live on the Levee” spring series of concerts, the Warfield Concert Series, The Rockabilly Festival and the Delta Cultural Center’s Mother Best Music Fest all coincided directly with the 2012 HSS Schedule.
Helena Second Saturdays is an initiative led by Thrive and made possible through to a strategic partnership between The Delta Cultural Center, The Phillips County Chamber of Commerce, Main Street Helena, The Arkansas Delta Arts Partnership, The Walton Family Foundation, The Delta Regional Authority, and local corporate sponsors.
Our goals for Helena Second Saturdays are to:
- Increase community investment in the downtown urban core of Helena, Arkansas;
- Promote community engagement and racial unity;
- Foster new leaders among permanent and short-term (i.e.Teach For America current and alumni) community members.
In response to these goals we have:
- Increased downtown revenue 250% during six/three-hour events and recruited three new tourism related businesses;
- Worked with over 50 various local merchant participants;
- Grown participation to 500 attendees per event;
- Created a volunteer corps of 20 new local young leaders.
We need sponsors, artists, musicians and volunteers. We need your assistance! For more information please contact us.
Office: 310 Cherry Street, Helena, Arkansas